Monday, August 29, 2011

Wisdom's Call


Devotional for 8.29.11

What’s calling out to you today? A child? The telephone? Email? A to-do list? An employer? A neighbor? A parent or friend?

Do you hear her? There’s someone else calling. Her name is Wisdom! Let’s page to Proverbs 8 and do more than hear. Let’s listen; let’s listen well.

WISDOM’S CALL

Does not wisdom call out? Does not understanding raise her voice?
Proverbs 8:1

When my daughters played sports, and I was in the stands amidst the other parents, if any of the children called out, “Mom!” on cue, every mother’s head turned in that direction. We heard the call “Mom!” and responded – whether it was our child or not!

In chapter 8 of Proverbs, Wisdom calls out with raised voice: You who are simple, gain prudence; you who are foolish, gain understanding. Listen, for I have worthy things to say; I open my lips to speak what is right(Proverbs 8:5-6). Wisdom loudly calls out, but do we hear and respond to her call?

In the New Testament Jesus repeatedly said to His listeners, “Whoever has ears, let them hear” (Matthew 11:15, 13:43, Mark 4:9 . . .)

Hearing and listening can be two different things. I can hear my husband and nod at timely intervals, without listening to a word that he has to say. We can do the same with wisdom. We can read Proverbs and even teach Proverbs, without listening to a word that the Lord has for us.

Ears that really hear and listen, respond with obedience. Their hearts are not calloused to wisdom’s call; they are doing what He decrees! James asked, Who is wise and understanding among you? Let them show it by their good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom (James 3:13).

Those who listen will be happy and blessed. Now then, my children, listen to me; blessed are those who keep my ways. Blessed are those who listen to me, watching daily at my doors, waiting at my doorway (Proverbs 8:32, 34).

Those who listen will find true life. For those who find me find life and receive favor from the LORD. But those who fail to find me harm themselves; all who hate me love death (Proverbs 8:35-36). Jesus repeats that life-giving truth in all four gospels. For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me and for the gospel will save it. What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul (Mark 8:35-36)?

Sometimes we can be guilty of “selective hearing” – hearing what we want to hear, and tuning out what we don’t want to apply to our lives. There’s a deadly price tag to tuning out wisdom’s call. May we hear, listen, obey, and find true life.

Wisdom Step: Today measure your wisdom by what you do, instead of what you know. On a scale of 1 to 10, how wise are you?

Wisdom is hearing and doing the Word of God.
John Piper

No comments:

Post a Comment